2. TELESCOPES: THE TOOLS OF ASTRONOMY
1. List three advantages of reflecting telescopes over refracting telescopes.
2. What and where are the largest optical telescopes in use today?
3. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of radio astronomy compared to
4. Why do radio telescopes have to be very large?
6. What kind of astronomical objects can we best study with radio techniques?
7. Explain how interferometry can enhance the usefulness of astronomical
8.List the other types of non-visible radiation (infrared, ultraviolet, microwaves,
x-rays and gamma-rays) currently being exploited for astronomical observation
- Names of astronomical tools - Advantages and limitations, and - Chief uses of each.
Characteristics, advantages and disadvantages of refractor telescopes.
Characteristics, advantages and disadvantages of reflector telescopes.
The world's largest Optical telescopes
Characteristics of radio telescopes.
This website describes the main features of optical-band telescopes.
Radio astronomy tutorial.
Resources on multi-wavelength astronomy
Main Electromagnetic Spectrum Telescopes and Observatories: